Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (10th April, 2023)« »
GAJ UTSAV-2023 Inaugurated by President of India
- The President of India, Smt Droupadi Murmu inaugurated the Gaj Utsav-2023 at the Kaziranga National Park on April 7, 2023.
- The President said that the 'Human-Elephant Conflict' has been an issue for centuries, and when we analyse this conflict, it is found that a barrier created in the natural habitat or movement of elephants is the root cause. Therefore, the responsibility of this conflict lies with the human society.
- She noted that protecting elephants, conserving their natural habitats and keeping elephant corridors free from obstruction are the main objectives of Project Elephant. Solving the problems related to Human-Elephant Conflict is also the aim of this project.
Kaziranga National Park and Manas National Park
- Kaziranga and Manas National Parks of Assam are invaluable heritage not only of India but of the whole world. That is why these have been given the status of 'World Heritage Site' by UNESCO.
- Assam has the second largest population of wild elephants in the country. So Kaziranga is a very apt place for organizing the Gaj-Utsav.
Indian Rafale Jets Fly to France
- Indian Rafale fighter will participate in a French military exercise “Orion 2023” in France in April 2023. It involves over seven thousand of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) troops that will take part in the drill involving the land forces of their NATO allies.
- Orion 2023 is a multidimensional wargame that includes ground troops, warships including aircraft carriers and combat aircraft.
PM flags off Secunderabad-Tirupati Vande Bharat Express
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi flagged off the Secunderabad-Tirupati Vande Bharat Express at Secunderabad Railway Station in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Secunderabad-Tirupati Vande Bharat Express connecting IT City, Hyderabad with the Abode of Lord Venkateswara, Tirupati, is the second Vande Bharat train to be started from Telangana within a short span of three months. The train will reduce the travel time between the two cities by almost three and a half hours and will be particularly beneficial for pilgrims.
- The Prime Minister was accompanied by the Governor of Telangana, Dr Tamilisai Soundararajan, the Union Minister for Railways, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw and the Union Minister of Tourism, Shri G Kishan Reddy on the occasion.
7th Anniversary of Providing Financial Inclusion Through Mudra Loan
- On April 8, 2015, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana, which offered loans of up to Rs. 10 lakhs to non-corporate and non-farm small and microbusinesses.
- This year we are celebrating 7th anniversary of providing financial inclusion through the pillars of Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY).
- Implementation of Financial Inclusion (FI) programme in the country is based on three pillars, namely, Banking the Unbanked, Securing the Unsecured and Funding the Unfunded. Under this ongoing programme.
- These three objectives are being achieved through leveraging technology and adopting multi-stakeholders’ collaborative approach, while serving the unserved and underserved as well.
KSINC Launches Solar-Powered Tourist Vessel
- The solar-powered tourist boat Sooryamshu, which is launched by the Kerala State Inland Navigation Corporation (KSINC), can generate 27 KW of power.
- Additionally, the boat comes with generators that will help power the air conditioning and passenger lift systems.
- The remainder of the vessel's energy requirements will be met by the generators, with approximately 75% coming from the solar panels. The boat was built in Sri Lanka.
‘TN REACH’ Initiative to Use 80+ Unused Helipads
- Tamil Nadu plans to start helicopter services between cities and towns; the proposed initiative announced in the State Industry Policy will improve the intra-state transportation network.
- More than 80 unused helipads across Tamil Nadu will soon be put to use with helicopter services planned by the State government.
- An institution mechanism (Tamil Nadu Regional Aerial Connectivity through Helicopters — TN REACH) will be formulated to use helicopters for travel between cities and towns.
Tripura Becomes Best Performing Northeast State in e-procurement
- In terms of e-procurement implementation, Tripura has been recognized as the north eastern state with the highest overall performance.
- Under the Saubhagya Yojana of the power department, Tripura has been rewarded in this context for finishing the work within a certain amount of time.
Kirit Parikh Panel Recommendations on Natural Gas Pricing is Approved by Government
- In accordance with the recommendations for gas pricing made by the Kirit Parikh committee, the government altered the pricing model for domestic natural gas.
- Monthly price announcements based on 10% of the international price of the Indian crude basket will be part of the new pricing system.
- Consequently, it is anticipated that prices for piped natural gas (PNG) and compressed natural gas (CNG), which are utilized in a variety of industries, automobile fuel, and households, will decrease by 10%.
RBI Launches Centralised Power PRAVAAH
- The RBI Governor, Shaktikanta Das, has declared the introduction of a centralised, web-based portal that will be secured and will operate within the regulatory framework of the Statement on Developmental and Regulatory Policies.
- This move aligns with the 'Enhancing Efficiency of Regulatory Processes' initiative that has been established to progress the proposals of ease and reduction of compliance outlined in the Budget 2023-24.
Reserve Bank of India:
- The Reserve Bank of India was established on April 1, 1935 in accordance with the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
- The Central Office of the Reserve Bank was initially established in Kolkata but was permanently moved to Mumbai in 1937. The Central Office is where the Governor sits and where policies are formulated.
- Though originally privately owned, since nationalisation in 1949, the Reserve Bank is fully owned by the Government of India.