Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (13th April, 2023)« »
International Day of Human Space Flight
- Every year on April 12th, the International Day of Human Space Flight is observed to commemorate the beginning of the space age and to recognize the significant contributions of space science and technology.
- This day was designated as such by the United Nations General Assembly on April 7th, 2011, with the goal of promoting the peaceful exploration and use of outer space.
- April 12 is marked as the International Day of Human Space Flight, in recognition of the historic event that occurred on this day in 1961 when a Russian cosmonaut became the first person to travel into space.
Nilesh Sambare Received the 'Maratha Udyog Ratna 2023'
- The 'Maratha Udyog Ratna' was presented to Shri Nileshji Bhagwan Sambare, the founder of Jijau Educational and Social Foundation or Sanstha.
- He received the award at the 'Maratha Entrepreneurs Conference 2023', which was organized by the 'Maratha Entrepreneurs Development and Guidance Institute Maharashtra State' at Mahakavi Kalidas Kalamandir in Nashik.
- Shri Nilesh Sambare has made a significant impact through his work in remote regions such as Palghar, where he has tirelessly undertaken several projects in the industrial sector. His unwavering commitment to working for society has earned him a well-respected position in the industry.
Jijau Educational and Social Organization
- Nilesh Sambare founded the Jijau Educational and Social Organization in 2008, a non-profit group that aims to uplift underprivileged communities in five districts of India: Palghar, Thane, Raigad, Ratnagiri, and Sindhudurg.
- Over the past 14 years, the organization has been using its own funds to provide education, healthcare, employment, and agricultural aid without accepting donations.
- The organization is based in Jadpoli and operates two medical camps daily, in addition to a well-equipped hospital that provides free treatment.
- Jijau Sanstha also runs 20 Police Academies and serves 10 Free Ambulance Services every day.
World Chess Armageddon Asia & Oceania: Indian GM Gukesh emerge as the Champion
- The World Chess Armageddon Asia & Oceania event ended with a surprising victory by Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh, who defeated former world rapid champion Nodirbek Abdusattorov from Uzbekistan in the final.
- Gukesh emerged winner in a topsy-turvy summit clash late on Sunday.
IIT-Bombay and UIDAI Collaborate to Create a Touchless Biometric System
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT-Bombay), and the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) signed an MoU to create a touchless biometric capture system that can be used easily, anytime and anywhere.
- The MoU between UIDAI and IIT Bombay entails collaborating on research to develop a mobile fingerprint capture system integrated with a liveness model.
Global Engagement Scheme
- The Ministry of Culture is promoting Indian folk arts and culture globally through the ‘Global Engagement Scheme’. This involves organizing Festivals of India in various countries to showcase folk art, exhibitions, dance, music, theatre, film, food festivals, yoga events, and the rich and diverse culture of North-East India.
- To promote the diverse culture of India, including that of Northeast India, across the world, the Ministry of Culture provides grant-in-aid to Indo-Foreign Friendship Cultural Societies for organizing programs and activities.
- Several schemes are available to promote cultural activities in North East India, including Award to Young Talented Artistes, Guru Shishya Parampara, Theatre Rejuvenation, Research & Documentation, Shilpgram, OCTAVE, and National Cultural Exchange Programme. As part of this program, the Ministry of Culture organizes exposure visits for college and university students, as well as off-campus youth between the ages of 18-30, between the 8 NE states and other states.
- These visits provide multi-dimensional exposure to the youth in five broad areas, including Paryatan (Tourism), Parampara (Traditions), Pragati (Development), Prodyogik (Technology), and Paraspar Sampark (People-to-people connect).
- OCTAVE is a special scheme designed specifically for Northeast Zones. The Ministry of Culture also conducts the Yuva Sangam program, linking 11 higher education institutions in NE states to 14 institutions in other states.
IMF has Cut its GDP Growth Forecast
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) revised India's GDP growth forecast for the financial year 2023-24 downwards by 20 basis points to 5.9 percent.
- This projection is below the Reserve Bank of India's estimation of 6.4 percent. Nevertheless, India is expected to maintain its position as the world's fastest-growing economy.
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is an organization of 190 member countries, each of which has representation on the IMF's executive board in proportion to its financial importance, so that the most powerful countries in the global economy have the most voting power.
Asian Development Bank Commits ₹ 150 Crore to Tata Power Delhi
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has announced its intention to invest INR 150 crore in non-convertible debentures issued by Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd (TPDDL). This investment aims to improve power distribution in Delhi by upgrading the power grid.
- As per a statement by the Manila-based funding institution, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has agreed to provide a grant of $2 million to support the acquisition and integration of a trial battery energy storage system (BESS).
Food Conclave 2023
- Hyderabad will host the first edition of the Food Conclave 2023, an annual brainstorming event for the agri-food sector organized by the state government, on April 28-29.
- During the event, the top 100 thought leaders in the agri-food industry will come together for intense discussions on the key challenges and opportunities for the growth of the Indian agri-food sector in the coming decade.