Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (1st May, 2023)« »
International Dance Day 2023
- April 29 is observed as International Dance Day worldwide, which was created by the Dance Committee of the International Theatre Institute (ITI), UNESCO's primary partner for the performing arts.
- Since its inception in 1982, the International Dance Committee, in collaboration with the ITI, has been choosing a remarkable figure in the field of dance annually.
- The day also referred to as the event, celebrates the birthday of Jean-Georges Noverre, a French dancer and ballet instructor known as the pioneer of modern ballet, and advocates for the advancement of this form of artistic expression.
World Veterinary Day 2023
- To commemorate the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying, in partnership with the Veterinary Council of India, recently observed the World Veterinary Day-2023 on April 29, 2023, at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The objective was to acknowledge and honor the crucial contributions made by veterinarians in preserving the well-being of animals, humans, and the environment.
- The theme for this year's World Veterinary Day is "Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Veterinary Practice."
The NAMO Medical College in Silvassa was Inaugurated by PM Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the NAMO Medical Education and Research Institute in Silvassa, a town located in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- Built at an expense of ₹ 203 crore, the medical college compound comprises a high-rise library, an educational structure that comprises four lecture halls and an auditorium, a clubhouse, residential quarters for the faculty, student dormitories, and both indoor and outdoor sports amenities.
The Revised CGTMSE Scheme was Launched by the Union Minister for MSME
- Shri Narayan Rane, the Union Minister for MSME, unveiled the restructured CGTMSE Scheme in Mumbai today.
- The Union Budget for FY 2023-24 granted CGTMSE an extra corpus support of ₹9,000 crore to improve its program, enabling it to offer guarantees worth an additional ₹2 lakh crore to Micro and Small Enterprises.
- The scheme's key enhancements were presented to lending institutions, including a 50% reduction in guaranteed fees for loans up to ₹1 crore, lowering the minimum guaranteed fee to 0.37% pa.
- The maximum guarantee ceiling was also raised from ₹2 crore to ₹5 crore, and the threshold limit for claim settlement without legal action was increased to ₹10 lakh.
India's First Cable-Stayed Railway Bridge, is Scheduled to be Completed by May 2023
- Located in the Reasi district of Jammu and Kashmir, the first-of-its-kind railway bridge is presently being built and will connect tunnels T2 and T3 on the Katra-Baniyal railway route. It is the first cable-stayed railway bridge of its kind in India.
- By May 2023, the deck launching process for India's sole cable-stayed railway bridge, the Anji Bridge, is expected to reach completion.
- As per the Northern Railways, the Anji Bridge, featuring a single main pylon, has a total length of 473.25 meters, with the primary span measuring 290 meters. The pylon rises to a height of 193 meters from the base of the foundation, towering an astounding 331 meters above the riverbed.
- The Anji Bridge is an asymmetric cable-stayed bridge that is supported by a central pylon. It is engineered to accommodate a solitary railway track and a 3.75-meter-wide service lane. Moreover, each side of the deck features a 1.5-meter-wide footpath, resulting in an overall width of 15 meters.
The Book Titled 'Saurashtra-Tamil Sangamprashastih' was Launched by PM Modi
- During the closing ceremony of the 'Saurashtra Tamil Sangamam' function, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the book 'Saurashtra-Tamil Sangamprashastih,' authored by Shree Somnath Sanskrit University.
- The Prime Minister's Office (PMO) stated that the origin of the program lies in PM Modi's vision of promoting the concept of 'Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat' by implementing measures that reveal and re-establish the long-established connections between individuals in various parts of the country. In accordance with this objective, the Kashi Tamil Sangamam was arranged previously.
- More than 3,000 Saurashtrian Tamils arrived in Somnath on a special train to attend the 10-day confluence, which began on April 17 and culminated in its closing ceremony on April 26 at Somnath.
Rajasthan Gets Three New Wildlife Conservation Reserves
- The Forest Department of Rajasthan has recently revealed the establishment of three additional conservation reserves to safeguard the state's unique and vulnerable wildlife. These reserves are Sorsan, located in Baran, Khichan in Jodhpur, and Hamirgarh in Bhilwara.
- These recently announced reserves are anticipated to offer a secure habitat for endangered and uncommon animal species while also serving as a sanctuary for migratory birds.
Siddhartha Mohanty Has Been Appointed as the Chairman of LIC Till June 2024
- According to a recent report by Reuters, Siddhartha Mohanty has been appointed as the new leader of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) by the Indian government.
- Mohanty's appointment as Chairman is until June 2024, after which he will serve as the CEO and Managing Director until June 7, 2025.
The Book Titled 'Reflections' was Launched by the Finance Minister
- The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman, unveiled 'Reflections', a book penned by the distinguished banker, Narayanan Vaghul.
- The book provides a detailed account of Vaghul's experiences across several decades in India's financial sector.
- The event was attended by prominent bankers and members of major financial institutions, as well as K.V. Kamath, the Chairman of the National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID), Ajay Piramal, the Chairman of the Piramal Group, and Kalpana Morparia, the former Chairperson of J.P. Morgan South and Southeast Asia.
IIT Bombay’s SHUNYA Team Secured Second Place in “Solar Decathlon” Build Challenge in the US
- The SHUNYA team from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay has achieved a remarkable feat by securing the second position in the Solar Decathlon Build Challenge, which took place in the United States.
- Their groundbreaking zero-energy house design aims to tackle air pollution concerns in the hot and humid climate of Mumbai.
- SHUNYA is a team of students from IIT Bombay dedicated to creating a sustainable future, and they were the sole representatives of India in this competition, competing against 31 other teams from around the globe.
- The team has designed a house that features a 14-kW solar PV Plant and an innovative in-house automation system.
- The automation system oversees a custom-built dehumidifier that caters to the specific climatic requirements of coastal regions.
- Additionally, the house incorporates water-efficient fixtures, recycling mechanisms, and rainwater harvesting systems that result in an 80% reduction in water consumption compared to a regular house.
The World's First Robotic Check-In Assistant Has Been Launched by Emirates
- Emirates, a Dubai-based airline, has introduced its latest technological advancement: the first-ever robotic check-in assistant, Sara.
- This automated system is a component of the City Check-in and Travel Store located in Dubai's financial district. Using facial recognition technology and scanned passports, Sara will check in passengers and guide them to the baggage drop zone.
- Facial recognition technology enables the robot to scan faces and generate boarding passes, resulting in a quicker check-in procedure.
- Sara, the robotic assistant, is also portable and can travel around to assist customers who need help. There are rumors that future versions of Sara may include arms to help with luggage transport.