Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (1st December, 2023)« »
“Drift,” Directed by Anthony Chen, Honoured with ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal at IFFI
- The film "Drift," a collaborative effort between France, Britain, and Greece and directed by Anthony Chen, was honoured with the prestigious ICFT-UNESCO Gandhi Medal during the 54th International Film Festival of India.
- The film is an emotional portrait of an immigrant woman who seems condemned to wander by the traumatic and terrible reality of human madness.
- The award was announced at the grand Closing Ceremony of the festival at Goa.
Government Extends PMGKAY Scheme for 5 More Years
- The Indian government has declared a five-year extension for the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) scheme.
- This program is designed to furnish 5 kilograms of complimentary foodgrains each month to 81.35 crore economically disadvantaged individuals.
- This will result in an expenditure of around ₹11.80 lakh crore for the national treasury.
Nepal Becomes the First South Asian Country with Same-Sex Marriage Registration
- Nepal officially records its inaugural same-sex marriage five months after it was legalized by the Supreme Court.
- This event took place in the Dordi Rural Municipality of Lamjung district in Western Nepal.
- 35-year-old trans-woman Maya Gurung and 27-year-old gay man Surendra Pandey got married legally.
Inauguration of ‘Classic Imperial’ Luxury Cruise in Kerala
- Nitin Gadkari virtually inaugurated the 'Classic Imperial,' a luxury cruise vessel, in Kochi.
- The inauguration ceremony took place at the Neo-classic Boat Jetty on Marine Drive.
- This marks a noteworthy achievement in the promotion of cruise tourism in the region.
- Being hailed as the largest cruise vessel of its kind constructed in Kerala, the 'Classic Imperial' has the capacity to accommodate 150 people simultaneously.
UNHRC Nansen Refugee Award 2023
- Abdullahi Mire, a Somali refugee, has been honoured as the Global Laureate of the 2023 UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award for his advocacy in advancing the right to education for displaced children.
- Raised in the Dadaab refugee camps in Kenya, Mire has distributed over 100,000 books to children and youth affected by displacement in the country.
- The award will be presented to him during a ceremony in Geneva, Switzerland, scheduled for December 13, 2023.
Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra Launched in South West Garo Hills
- The District Rural Development Agency (DRDA) orchestrated an event to inaugurate the Viksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra at the district level in South West Garo Hills.
- Held at MFC, Ampati, this initiative is a nationwide outreach program designed by the Central Government to educate and empower citizens about its key schemes and programs.
- The primary objective of the Yatra is to enhance awareness and streamline the distribution of benefits from welfare schemes.
- It is an integral component of the broader Hamara Sankalp Viksit Bharat campaign.
Launch of ‘Anganwadi Protocol for Divyang Children’
- The Minister for Women and Child Development (WCD) officially introduced the 'Anganwadi Protocol for Divyang Children' during a National Outreach Program held in New Delhi.
- The objective of the event was to enhance the overall well-being of children with disabilities.