Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (8th January, 2024)« »
Earth’s Rotation Day 2024
- Earth's Rotation Day is annually observed on 8th January.
- The Day is observed because of a discovery made by French Physicist Leon Foucault regarding the earth's rotation.
India Signed Bilateral Haj Agreement 2024 with Saudi Arabia
- A bilateral agreement was signed between India and Saudi Arabia, wherein a quota of 175,025 pilgrims has been allocated to New Delhi for the annual Haj pilgrimage in 2024.
- The agreement was signed by Union Minority Affairs Minister Smriti Irani and Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan, accompanied by Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah Dr Tawfiq bin Fawzan in Jeddah.
Sarbananda Sonowal Inaugurated First Inland Waterways Development Council Meeting
- The Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways, Sarbananda Sonowal inaugurated the meeting of the first Inland Waterways Development Council in Kolkata.
- During this session, he introduced pioneering initiatives, including the Harit Nauka guidelines for the environmentally friendly transition of inland vessels and the River Cruise Tourism Roadmap 2047.
- The Ministry aims to boost the modal share of inland water transportation from the current two percent to five percent, aligning with the objectives outlined in the Maritime India Vision 2030.
International Purple Fest 2024
- The International Purple Fest is a free event that celebrates persons with disabilities.
- The event covers 21 disabilities including low vision, blindness and learning differences.
- The festival aims to introduce initiatives such as a permanent spinal cord rehab center and an ALIMCO unit at GMC, Bambolim.
- The festival is organized by the Office of the State Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities, Government of Goa, and supported by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
African National Congress Foundation Day 2024
- African National Congress Foundation Day is annually observed on 8th January.
- It was founded as the South African Native National Congress (SANNC) on 8 January 1912 in Bloemfontein.
- Its primary goal was to unite African people and defend their rights and freedoms.
Sucheta Satish Achieved a Guinness World Record for Singing in the Most Languages
- Sucheta Satish created a Guinness World Record after singing in 140 languages in a Dubai concert.
- The concert's name is Concert for Climate.