Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (10th January, 2024)« »
DRDO Launches ‘Ugram’ for Indian Army
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) introduced Ugram, an advanced assault rifle chambered in 7.62 x 51 mm.
- The meaning of the word ‘Ugram’ is ferocious, it is the result of indigenous design, development, and manufacturing in collaboration with a private industry partner.
- Tailored to meet the operational needs of armed forces, paramilitary units, and state police entities.
- The first operational prototype was officially unveiled by Dr. Shailendra V Gade, Director General of Armament and Combat Engineering Systems at DRDO, in Pune.
PM Modi Inaugurates Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 10th edition of the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit in Gandhinagar.
- This three-day event has attracted the participation of 34 partner countries and delegates from over 130 nations.
- The summit will commemorate the '20 years of Vibrant Gujarat as the Summit of Success.'
PFC Gets Reserve Bank nod to Set Up Finance Company in GIFT City
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) granted approval to Power Finance Corporation (PFC) to establish a fully-owned finance company within the GIFT City in Gujarat.
- This entity within the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) will open up fresh business prospects for PFC and play a role in advancing the growth of the nation's power sector.
IndusInd Bank Introduces the ‘Samman RuPay Credit Card’
- IndusInd Bank recently introduced the “IndusInd Bank Samman RuPay Credit Card", equipped with UPI functionality, in partnership with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- Introduced for government sector employees, the card is designed to offer a variety of exclusive perks, aiming to elevate their banking experience.
Music Maestro Rashid Passes Away
- Renowned music maestro Rashid Khan passed away at a Kolkata hospital following a long struggle with cancer.
- He was 55-year-old and was a Padma Bhushan awardee.
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced that Ustad Rashid Khan would receive a gun salute as part of his final rites.
India Set to Host UNESCO's World Heritage Committee Session
- India is set to preside over and host the UNESCO World Heritage Committee session in New Delhi from 21st July 2024 to 31st July 2024.
- This is the first time a country has both chaired and hosted the committee.
- The occasion positions New Delhi as the epicentre for international dialogues on the conservation of cultural and historical heritage.