Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (17th November, 2023)« »
India and US Signed an MoU to Enhance Startup Ecosystems
- India and the United States have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to strengthen cooperation within the framework of the India-US Commercial Dialogue.
- The aim of this partnership is to amplify innovation ecosystems and tackle regulatory hurdles in the startup sector.
PM Modi Launches Rs 24,000-cr Scheme for Vulnerable Tribal Groups' Welfare
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a Rs 24,000-crore project dedicated to vulnerable tribal groups on the birth anniversary of tribal icon Birsa Munda in Jharkhand’s Khunti district.
- This initiative is named as PM Janjati Adivasi Nyaya Maha Abhiyan.
- It aims to guarantee the effective delivery of welfare schemes and provide protection for Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs).
- PM Modi also introduced the Visksit Bharat Sankalp Yatra, a nationwide program designed to extend outreach to all villages and include eligible beneficiaries in various central schemes.
International Tolerance Day 2023
- The International Day for Tolerance is observed on November 16th every year.
- This day reiterates the principles of human rights and equality, emphasizing the importance of fostering open-mindedness, empathy, and compassion.
- The theme of the day 2023 is “Tolerance: A Path to Peace and Reconciliation”.
Shital Mahajan Becomes the First Woman to Skydive 21,500 Feet
- Shital Mahajan, an Indian skydiver becomes the first woman in the world to perform a helicopter jump from the height of 21,500 ft in the vicinity of Mt Everest.
- She landed at Kalapathar peak at an altitude of 17,444ft.
- She is a recipient of the fourth highest Indian civilian award Padma Shri and a holder of several skydiving records.
CII and IGBC Launches ‘IGBC Nest’
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) have collaborated to introduce IGBC-Nest to the individual housing sector.
- It aims to manage and reduce carbon emissions as part of the country's broader goal of achieving net-zero emissions by 2070.
- 'IGBC Nest' represents a pioneering, eco-friendly framework and certification system developed for individual homeowners.
- Its primary objective is to raise awareness and encourage individual property owners to construct sustainable homes without or with minimal additional costs.
Former Indian Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar Joins USISPF as Advisor
- Ajay Kumar, the former Defence Secretary of India, has joined the Board of Advisors for the US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum (USISPF).
- He has served as India's Defence Secretary from August 2019 to October 2022.