Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (31th January, 2024)« »
Event “Women in the Workforce for Viksit Bharat” to be Organised in New Delhi
- The Ministry of Women & Child Development and the Ministry of Labour & Employment are set to jointly organize an event tomorrow, titled "सक्षम नारी सशक्त भारत - Women in the Workforce for Viksit Bharat," at Bharat Mandapam in New Delhi.
- The event will be presided over by Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, the Union Minister for Women & Child Development and Minority Affairs, and Shri Bhupender Yadav, the Union Minister for Labour & Employment and Environment, Forest & Climate Change.
- During the event, the Ministry of Labour and Employment will unveil an advisory aimed at encouraging employers to foster gender equality and enhance women's workforce participation, thereby reinforcing women empowerment.
Martyrs' Day 2024
- Martyrs' Day, also known as Shaheed Diwas, is observed in India on January 30 annually.
- The day is dedicated to paying tribute to the courageous soldiers who sacrificed their lives for their motherland.
- This day is also observed as Mahatma Gandhi’s death anniversary.
- Gandhi Ji, world-renowned for leading the freedom movement in India, was shot dead on January 30, 1948, by Nathuram Godse.
- He was on his way to address a prayer meeting at Birla Bhawan in Delhi when the fateful incident occurred. Gandhi, also known as the “Father of the Nation” led India’s freedom movement.
- He was known for his peaceful and non-violent methods to fight against the British rule.
Delhi govt introduces consumer-friendly ‘Solar Policy 2024’
- Power consumers in Delhi have a reason to cheer as the Delhi government has formulated the Delhi Solar Policy 2024.
- This groundbreaking policy not only guarantees zero electricity bills for power consumers but also enables them to generate income by installing solar panels on their rooftops.
- Under the leadership of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government, amendments have been made to the State Solar Policy 2016, which initially resulted in the installation of 1500 MW solar power capacity in Delhi.
- The newly introduced Solar Policy 2024 aims to achieve a remarkable 4500 megawatts of installed solar power capacity in Delhi by the year 2027.
Indian Army Implements New Fitness Policy
- The Indian Army has implemented a new fitness policy to address the “declining physical standards among officers” and the rise of “lifestyle diseases”.
- The new policy imposes punitive action for overweight personnel with no improvement within 30 days. It also introduces additional tests for army personnel.
- This policy's main objective is to enhance physical well-being and establish consistency in assessments.
Puducherry Gets New Chief Secretary
- Sharat Chauhan, a 1994 batch IAS officer from the AGMUT cadre, has been designated as the latest Chief Secretary of Puducherry.
- The Union Home Ministry formally declared this appointment through an order issued on Monday.
- Having previously fulfilled administrative responsibilities in Arunachal Pradesh, Chauhan brings a substantial wealth of experience to his new position in the union territory.
- His appointment is part of a sequence of transfers within the AGMUT cadre.
Sonam Maskar Wins air Rifle Silver in Cairo World Cup
- Sonam Maskar won the women’s air rifle silver as she was beaten by 0.9 point by Anna Janssen of Germany in the shooting World Cup in Cairo, Egypt.
- Nancy Mandhotra also made the final with an impressive qualification score of 633.1 but missed the chance to win a medal by 0.2 point.