Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (22nd May, 2023)« »
International Day for Biological Diversity 2023
- On May 22 each year, the International Day for Biological Diversity is commemorated, aiming to increase consciousness and advocate for the preservation of biological diversity.
- This occasion serves as a reminder of the criticality of biodiversity and the imperative to safeguard and rehabilitate it. In 2023, this day holds particular importance as it emphasizes the shift from making pledges to implementing tangible measures to restore biodiversity.
- The chosen theme for the International Day for Biological Diversity 2023 is "Building Back Biodiversity: Transitioning from Agreement to Action."
- This theme highlights the pressing requirement to progress beyond mere commitments and transform them into practical steps that effectively revive and safeguard biodiversity.
"Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar" Campaign
- The mantra of #RRR (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) is resonating in every city and ward, as urban India embraces the principle of 3R to convert waste into valuable resources.
- The 'Meri LiFE, Mera Swachh Shehar' campaign, launched by Union Minister Shri Hardeep S. Puri on May 15, 2023, has gained significant traction as cities strive for sustainability and improved living conditions.
- This nationwide initiative aims to encourage cities to establish RRR Centers, which serve as convenient collection points for citizens to contribute items such as clothes, shoes, old books, toys, and used plastic for reuse or recycling.
India Observes the National Anti-Terrorism Day on May 21, 2023
- Every year on May 21, India marks National Anti-Terrorism Day in remembrance of the tragic demise of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- Rajiv Gandhi, who became India's youngest prime minister at the age of 40, served as the country's sixth Prime Minister. Tragically, he was assassinated on May 21, 1991, in Sriperumbudur, a village near Madras, by a female member of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- In response to this horrific event, the government under VP Singh declared May 21 as Anti-Terrorism Day, a solemn occasion observed throughout the nation.
- The day encompasses a range of events and activities held nationwide to educate individuals about the devastating consequences of terrorism. These initiatives aim to highlight the significance of peace, harmony, and national security.
- The primary objective is to enhance public awareness regarding the dangers posed by terrorism and to foster a collective spirit of unity among citizens in the fight against this global menace. Through these efforts, the day seeks to encourage a strong stance against terrorism and promote a safer and more secure society.
PSU Banks' Profit Has Exceeded the Milestone of Rs. 1 Lakh Crore in FY23
- In the financial year 2022-2023, the collective profit of public sector banks (PSBs) in India surpassed Rs. 1 lakh crore, with the State Bank of India (SBI) leading the pack, contributing to nearly half of the total earnings.
- This achievement marks a significant turnaround for PSBs, considering their cumulative net loss of Rs. 85,390 crore in 2017-18. The PSBs' profit has now reached Rs. 1,04,649 crore in 2022-23, indicating a remarkable improvement.
- Comparatively, these 12 PSBs witnessed a substantial 57% increase in total profit compared to the Rs. 66,540 crore earned in the previous fiscal year of 2021-22.
Amit Shah Lays Foundation Stone of Campus of National Academy of Coastal Policing in Dwaraka, Gujarat
- During the inauguration ceremony of the National Academy of Coastal Policing's permanent campus in Okha, Dwaraka, Union Home and Cooperation Minister Amit Shah emphasized that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, accords the utmost importance to coastal security in India.
- Addressing the gathering, Shah highlighted that the newly established academy will offer training facilities to over three thousand security personnel annually.
- He also mentioned that the central government is dedicated to the development of border areas and the well-being of security forces, leaving no stone unturned in ensuring their welfare.
Union Minister Bhupender Yadav Inaugurated the Centre of Excellence on Sustainable Land Management
- Union Minister Bhupender Yadav took a noteworthy stride in addressing land degradation and promoting sustainable land management practices by inaugurating the Centre of Excellence on Sustainable Land Management (CoE-SLM) at the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) in Dehradun.
- The CoE-SLM also aims to collaborate with developing countries that are signatories to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), in order to accomplish Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) targets, foster south-south cooperation, and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) outlined by international conventions such as the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Siddaramaiah Took Oath as the Ahief minister of Karnataka
- Following the resounding victory of their party in the recently concluded assembly elections, Siddaramaiah was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Karnataka for the second time on Saturday.
- Joining him in the oath-taking ceremony, DK Shivakumar took the oath as a cabinet minister and was appointed as the state's sole Deputy Chief Minister.