Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (15th April, 2023)« »
Dr. BR Ambedkar Jayanti
- ‘Father of the Indian Constitution’, Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar was a politician, economist, and jurist from India.
- Born on April 14, 1891, the influential Dalit leader led the committee that drafted India’s constitution during the Constituent Assembly deliberations.
- A strong supporter of women’s and labour rights, Ambedkar was also the first Law Minister in free India. As such, every year on April 14, the birth anniversary of the social rights advocate is commemorated.
Baishakhi Celebration 2023
- The beginning of the harvest season is marked by Baisakhi, one of the Sikh community's largest celebrations. In every part of the country, Baisakhi is celebrated with great pomp and circumstance each year.
- The celebration of Baisakhi, which is especially observed in Punjab, carries with it the hope of a better tomorrow as well as prosperity, happiness, and wealth.
- During this time, people get together to spend time with their loved ones, friends, and neighbors. They enjoy special Baisakhi dishes and celebrate the beginning of the harvest season together on this day.
World Chagas Disease Day 2023
- On April 14 each year, World Chagas Disease Day is observed to raise awareness of a potentially fatal condition that can cause serious heart and digestive issues.
- The disease, which is also known as American trypanosomiasis, silent disease, or silenced disease, is caused by the parasite Trypanosoma cruzi, also known as the kissing bug or triatomine bug.
- Poor and impoverished individuals who reside in rural areas with poor sanitation are most frequently affected by the disease. It is more common in Mexico, Central America, and South America.
India’s Employment Rate Increases
- The most recent data from the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE) show that India's employment rate increased by 0.3% in the March quarter compared to the previous quarter.
- India's employment rate increased to 36.9% in March 2023, up from 36.6% in December 2022.
- At the same time, the number of unemployed people decreased by nearly two million, indicating that many people were able to find work.
Ghana Becomes First Country to Approve Oxford Malaria Vaccine
- Ghana becomes the first country to give its approval to Oxford University-developed malaria vaccine as the African nation intensifies its fight against the disease that kills a child every minute.
- Vaccines for children in Africa are usually contributed by international organizations such as UNICEF after being supported by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- This is the first time a major vaccine has been approved first in an African country, before rich nations.
Rajasthan’s First Vande Bharat Train
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday flagged off Rajasthan's first and the country's 15th Vande Bharat Express train via video conferencing.
- Addressing the launch event, Modi said the Vande Bharat Express enriches the spirit of 'India First, Always First'.
India's First Semi High-Speed Regional Rail Services Named 'RAPIDX'
- The first semi-high-speed regional rail services in India have been given the name "RAPIDX" by the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC).
- The Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) corridors, which are being constructed to connect important urban nodes throughout the National Capital Region (NCR), are where these trains will operate.
- The name 'RAPIDX' has been chosen since it is easy to peruse and articulate in various dialects.
- The brand's goal of decarbonization is represented by a green leaf symbol in its logo. The National Capital Region (NCR) will be decongested as a result of the brand's intention to reduce vehicle traffic.
First-Ever 'Rat Czar' Appointed by New York City
- Kathleen Corradi has been selected by New York City Chairman Eric Adams to handle the city's serious rat issue.
- She has been named the city's first "rat czar," and her job is to reduce the rat population and make the city a cleaner, more welcoming place for residents.