Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (12th June, 2023)« »
First Edition of India, France and UAE Maritime Partnership Exercise
- On June 7, 2023, the inaugural edition of the Maritime Partnership Exercise involving India, France, and the UAE commenced in the Gulf of Oman.
- INS Tarkash participated from Indian side.
- The primary objective of the inaugural exercise is to strengthen trilateral cooperation among the navies of India, France, and the UAE, while also facilitating the adoption of measures to address both conventional and unconventional threats in the maritime domain.
- It will also promote collaboration in safeguarding the security of commercial trade and upholding the freedom of navigation in the high seas of the region.
V Anantharaman Appointed as the New Chairman of TransUnion Cibil
- V Anantharaman has been appointed as the new non-executive chairman of TransUnion Cibil, India's first credit information bureau.
- Anantharaman takes over from M V Nair, who recently concluded an eleven-year term. Under Nair's leadership, TransUnion became the majority owner of the company.
'Contentful Connectivity' Program
- Under a three-year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) titled 'Contentful Connectivity,' Microsoft and AirJaldi Networks, a prominent provider of internet connectivity solutions for rural regions, have formed a partnership.
- The goal of this program is to enhance the availability of high-speed internet and meaningful connectivity in rural areas of India by collaborating with private, public, and non-profit sectors.
- As a component of the 'Contentful Connectivity' program, AirJaldi Networks will extend its network to three additional states in India: Telangana, Chhattisgarh, and Odisha. The aim is to raise the number of network locations from 40 to 62, spanning 12 states and encompassing an additional 1,500 km of fiber network.
- Through this expansion, approximately 500,000 underserved individuals across 20,000 sq. km will gain access to internet services.
Learn and Earn Scheme
- The Learn and Earn program is to be launched by the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- It aims to provide valuable skills to 100,000 young individuals that are in high demand by employers.
- A total of 703 training areas have been identified for the implementation of this initiative.
- In addition to acquiring new skills, the program offers a financial incentive of Rs 8,000 to 10,000 allowance.
National Mission for Mentoring (NMM)
- The National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) launched the National Mentorship Mission (NMM) in a pilot phase on July 29, 2022.
- The initiative was initially implemented in a selected group of 30 Central Schools across the country, comprising 15 Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs), 10 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs), and 5 other CBSE schools.
- The National Mission for Mentoring (NMM), as outlined in the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020, seeks to create a significant cohort of proficient professionals who are ready to offer guidance and assistance to school teachers, ensuring their ongoing professional development.
- The formation of Cyclone "Biporjoy" in June is unusual, and the increasing sea surface temperatures in the Arabian Sea, attributed to climate change, play a significant role. These higher temperatures, reaching 30-32 degrees Celsius, favour the intensification of cyclones.
- Bangladesh provided the name Biparjoy to the cyclone, following the naming protocol established by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- Tropical cyclones are named in alphabetical order based on submissions from member countries. Biparjoy, meaning "Disaster" in Bengali, was the name put forward by Bangladesh.
MoU Signed Between IICA and RRU
- The Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA) and Rashtriya Raksha University (RRU) have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to leverage their professional expertise for capacity building, education, research, and consulting in areas such as Internal Security, Financial Crimes, Law Enforcement, Corporate Frauds, and other subjects that align with their respective mandates and objectives.
- The MoU facilitates the exchange of knowledge and resources between IICA and RRU for conducting research, training, and consultancy activities.
Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA)
- IICA is an institution established by the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), Government of India as an autonomous body to act as a think-tank and a centre of excellence to support the growth of the corporate sector in India through an integrated and multi-disciplinary approach.
Rashtriya Raksha University (RRU)
- RRU is an Institution of National Importance under the Ministry of Home Affairs. It is a pioneering national security and police University of India.
Go Digit Life Insurance Received Approval from IRDAI for Life Insurance Business in India
- Go Digit Life Insurance Limited, a company supported by Fairfax Group based in Canada and already engaged in the general insurance sector, has obtained regulatory clearance from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) to initiate its life insurance operations in India.
- With the recent approval, the count of insurers in the Indian life insurance sector reaches 26.
- Go Digit General Insurance is also preparing to introduce its initial public offering (IPO) and has already submitted the required documents to the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).