Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (20th April, 2023)« »
WTO Panel Rules Against India
- The European Union (EU), Japan, and Taiwan have successfully argued in a dispute with India at the World Trade Organization (WTO) over import duties on IT products.
- The WTO panel has found India guilty of violating global trading regulations and recommended that India make modifications to comply with its obligations.
- In 2019, the EU raised concerns about India's imposition of import duties ranging from 7.5% to 2 The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. 0% on several IT products such as mobile phones, integrated circuits, and components, which were deemed to exceed the maximum rate.
World Trade Organization (WTO):
The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. It is located in Geneva Switzerland. It was established on 1st January 1995.
Functions of WTO:
- Administering WTO trade agreements
- Forum for trade negotiations
- Handling trade disputes
- Monitoring national trade policies
- Technical assistance and training for developing countries
- Cooperation with other international organizations
India-China Dispute on Geothermal Plant
- Against the backdrop of China’s growing claims on the North-eastern state, India has announced its intension to construct a significant geothermal power plant in Arunachal Pradesh, situated near the border where China is also establishing one.
- It's important to remember that Arunachal Pradesh is one of many areas over which China and India have had long-running territorial disputes.
- The two nations have engaged in numerous discussions and negotiations, but they have yet to agree on a solution.
- China expressed its objection to the proposed visit of Amit Shah, India's Union Home Minister, to Arunachal Pradesh on April 10th, citing it as a violation of its territorial sovereignty.
- India, on the other hand, has strongly refuted China's objection and emphasized that Arunachal Pradesh has been and will continue to be an inseparable and integral part of India.
- India's response reaffirms its dedication to safeguarding the sovereignty and territorial integrity of its regions.
2023 Business Dialogue Between India and Russia
- India and Russia agreed to work together to realize the full potential of their economic engagement by addressing issues like market access and the trade deficit.
- At a meeting of the India-Russia Intergovernmental Commission on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological, and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC), the two sides discussed all aspects of their economic ties.
- The bilateral trade between India and Russia witnessed a significant expansion due to New Delhi’s increasing procurement of discounted Russian crude oil in the backdrop of the Ukraine war.
- The IRIGC-TEC meeting was co-chaired by External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Russian Deputy Prime Minister Denis Manturov.
- Manturov, who is also Russia’s minister for trade and industry, visited India to attend the 24th session of the IRIGC-TEC. He was accompanied by senior representatives from several Russian ministries.
Suryakumar Yadav and Harmanpreet Kaur Bags Top Honour
- The Indian duo of Suryakumar Yadav and Harmanpreet Kaur has added another feather to their outstanding crown after bagging the Wisden Almanack's leading cricketer in the World awards.
- Harmanpreet Kaur created history by becoming the first Indian woman to be named among the Wisden Cricketers of the Year.
- Suryakumar Yadav was another Indian who was rewarded for his stunning performances throughout last year. He was named the Widen T20I cricketer of the year male.
Inauguration of India Steel Session 2023 in Mumbai
- India Steel 2023, a conference and International Exhibition focused on the steel industry, will be held at the Mumbai Exhibition Centre in Goregaon, Mumbai from April 19-21, 2023.
- The Union Ministry of Steel, along with the Department of Commerce, Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry, and industry chamber FICCI, is organizing the event with the aim of bringing together policymakers, industry leaders, and experts to discuss the current state, challenges, and opportunities in the steel sector.
- The inaugural session of India Steel 2023 on April 19th 2023 will be addressed by Shri Jyotiraditya M. Scindia, Union Minister of Civil Aviation and Steel
- The event will also feature an exhibition showcasing the latest products and innovations in the steel industry.
World Liver Day
- World Liver Day falls on April 19th and serves as a means to increase public awareness regarding illnesses related to the liver.
- The liver is a highly intricate organ within the human body, responsible for several critical functions such as immunity, digestion, and metabolism.
- Additionally, it filters out toxins, stores essential vitamins and minerals, and produces bile.
- To promote liver health and prevent liver diseases, several educational programs, health initiatives, and awareness campaigns are likely to be organized worldwide on this day.
- “Be vigilant, do a regular liver check-up, fatty liver can affect anyone” is this year's World Liver Day theme.
- This theme encourages everyone, regardless of risk factors like obesity, diabetes, or excessive alcohol consumption, to have regular liver exams.
Launch of ‘YUVA’ Portal
- Dr. Jitendra Singh launched “YUVA PORTAL”, which will help in connecting and identifying potential young Start-Ups.
- He highlighted India’s global excellence in technology, innovation, and Start-Ups, stating that each of the 37 CSIR (Council of Scientific & Industrial Research) Labs is dedicated to a unique area of work.
Arjun Munda Launches Schemes to Promote Tribal Products
- Arjun Munda, the Minister of Tribal Affairs, will launch the Promotion of Tribal Products from North-Eastern Region (PTP-NER) scheme in Manipur.
- This scheme has been designed for the Scheduled Tribes living in the North-Eastern Region and aims to enhance their livelihood opportunities by improving the efficiency of procurement, logistics, and marketing of their products.
- The PTP-NER scheme will be implemented across the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, and Sikkim.
- As part of this initiative, the empanelment of tribal artisans from the North Eastern Region will be initiated through the organization of 68 Tribal Artisan Melas, starting from today, in various districts of the region.