Home / Current Affairs
Current Affairs (6th April, 2023)« »
The defense cooperation agreement signed between India and Romania
- Romania's deputy defense minister, Simona Cojocaru, met India's defense secretary, Giridhar Aramane, in New Delhi and signed a defense agreement.
- It is the first time in the history of the two countries’ bilateral relations that a cooperation agreement in this area has been signed.
- As per the press release cited by G4Media from the Ministry of Defense, the agreement establishes a foundation for the development and consolidation of bilateral relations through expanded defense cooperation.
Neeraj Nigam Appointed as the New Executive Director of RBI
- On 3 April 2023, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) appointed Neeraj Nigam as the new Executive Director (ED).
- Nigam was the Regional Director of the Bank's Bhopal Regional Office before being promoted to ED.
National Maritime Day
- April 5, the National Maritime Day is observed to raise awareness of the economy and international trade. This year, India is celebrating National Maritime Day for the 60th time.
- The "NMD Award of Excellence" is typically presented on this day to honor individuals for their lifetime distinguished and exceptional achievements at a senior level in the Indian maritime sector.
- This year, the theme of National Maritime Day 2023 is "Amrit Kaal in Shipping." The event's 60th anniversary is centered on expressing gratitude to the men who conduct the majority of India's global trade and commerce while spending countless months at sea.
- The theme of the 59th edition of the National Maritime Day 2022 is "Sustainable Shipping beyond Covid-19".
- The theme of the 56th edition of the National Maritime Day 2019 celebrations was “Indian Ocean-An Ocean of opportunity".
International Conscience Day
- International Day of Conscience is celebrated each year on 5 April to promote peace.
- It is a day started by the United Nations General Assembly in 2019 by the Federation of World Peace and Love (FOWPAL), which is a non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting peace and love worldwide commemorating the importance of the human conscience.
- This is a day to emphasize the significance of self-awareness and moral behavior. By highlighting the necessary corrections, this day also contributes to the collective good of society.
Axis Bank launches ‘Digital Dukaan’ App
- Axis Bank, in partnership with Visa unveiled an app that enables businesses to digitally manage their day-to-day operations and accept payments through a variety of digital channels.
- Axis Bank stated in a statement that the app "Digital Dukaan" has been specifically developed to address business requirements such as accepting digital payments, inventory management, and billing, among others.
- This Android Smart POS application has a built-in camera with an LED flashlight that can be used to scan product barcodes, support other value-added services like EMI, Sodexo card acceptance, Buy Now Pay Later, etc., and offer a tap-and-pay option for transactions up to Rs 5,000.
China’s Yuan Has Replaced the US Dollar as the Most Traded Currency in Russia
- A year after the invasion of Ukraine prompted a slew of Western sanctions against Moscow, China's yuan has taken over as the most traded currency in Russia from the US dollar.
- According to data compiled by Bloomberg based on daily transaction reports from the Moscow Exchange, the yuan surpassed the dollar in monthly trading volume for the first time in February. In March, the difference became more pronounced. Before the invasion, the yuan’s trading volume on the Russian market was negligible.
Second G20 EMPOWER meeting
- The G20 Alliance for the Empowerment and Progression of Women’s Economic Representation (EMPOWER) is an alliance of G20 business leaders and governments that aims to accelerate women’s leadership and empowerment in the private sector. The G20 EMPOWER 2023 under India’s presidency aims to take forward India's women-led development agenda.
- The first meeting of G20 EMPOWER took place in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, on February 11 and 12. The second EMPOWER meeting is scheduled to take place in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, from April 4 to April 6, 2023.
- The G20 EMPOWER 2nd Meeting's theme is "Women's Empowerment: A Win-Win for Equity and Economy". The G20 Presidency of India is inclusive, equitable, ambitious, decisive, and action-oriented, advancing transformative changes toward the economic empowerment of women.
India and US to take Part in Cope India Exercise
- The Indian and US air forces will participate in the Cope India 2023 exercise, which will take place from April 10 to April 21, with the goal of "further improving operational capability and interoperability between the two air forces."
- India will field the French-origin Rafale, Russian-origin Sukhoi-30MKI and indigenous Tejas fighters as well as AEW&C (airborne early-warning and control) planes, C17 Globemaster-III strategic airlift aircraft and IL-78 mid-air refuellers for the exercise.
- The US, on the other hand, will deploy its F-15 Strike Eagle jets.
- ‘Cope India’ began in 2004 as a fighter training exercise at the Indian Air Station in Gwalior.
- In addition to fighter-training exercises, the exercise has evolved to include subject matter expert exchanges, air mobility training, airdrop training, and large-force exercises.
Israel’s New Ofek Spy Satellite into Orbit
- In the early morning of 5 April 2023, Israel successfully launched the spy satellite "Ofek-13" into space.
- The satellite, the most recent in a line of Israeli perception resources in space, will give the tactical preferred quality pictures over its predecessors.
- The ‘Ofek-13’ satellite is a [synthetic-aperture radar] observation satellite with advanced capabilities.
KVB Tie-Up with SBI Life Insurance
- SBI Life Insurance has partnered with Karur Vysya Bank (KVB) to promote its insurance plans through the bank's branches.
- An agreement to this effect was signed in Chennai recently.
MD & CEO of KVB - B Ramesh Babu
MD & CEO of SBI Life Insurance - Mahesh Kumar Sharma